I want to plead Not Guilty. What do I do?

If you wish to plead not guilty, check whether you want a trial by judge or by jury on the pamphlet provided to you with the citation and submit it to the court on or before your scheduled appearance date. You will then be scheduled for a mandatory pretrial hearing and will be notified of this hearing date by mail.

You have the right to have a jury trial by six persons of this community.  You may waive this option and have the case heard by the municipal judge.  The judge or jury will determine guilt or innocence based on the merits of each individual case.  If you do not wish to have a trial you will need to enter a plea of “no contest” or “guilty."

Show All Answers

1. I just received a citation. What do I do?
2. I am a juvenile or minor. What do I do?
3. I want to plead Not Guilty. What do I do?
4. I would like to speak to someone about my citation. What do I do?
5. When is my court date?
6. What is the difference between a plea of "no contest" and "guilty?"
7. What can I do to keep the offense off my record?
8. I just want to pay my citation. How can I do that?
9. I need time to pay. Can I get an extension to pay my citation?
10. Can my spouse, relative, or employer take care of my citation for me?
11. Will an attorney be assigned to me?
12. Can I call to request a continuance or payment extension?
13. I received my ticket from a State Trooper or Sheriff’s Deputy in Kendall County. Can I take care of it in municipal court?
14. What forms of payment do you accept?