The City of Boerne is now accepting applications from local groups and businesses for funds from the City’s Hotel Occupancy Tax revenue.
Each year, the City of Boerne receives hotel occupancy tax (HOT) revenue from a tax that is levied on guest rooms at local hotels, motels, inns, and short-term rental facilities. Groups and businesses that offer programs to attract overnight tourists to the city’s hotels, motels, and other lodging establishments may be eligible to receive a portion of these HOT funds to support their programs.
Click here for more information on HOT funds and to download the application. The HOT fund application deadline is Thursday, March 23, 2023, at 5 p.m.
State law requires a two-part test to meet the eligibility for HOT funds.
Part 1 – Every expenditure of hotel occupancy taxes must attract overnight tourists to the city’s hotels/motels and other lodging establishments, thus promoting the city’s lodging industry.
Part 2 – Every expenditure must fit into one of the following nine categories:
- Convention and visitors center
- Convention registration
- Advertising the city
- Promotion of the arts
- Historical restoration and preservation
- Sporting events in a county under one million in population
- Enhancing or upgrading existing sports facilities or sports fields (only in certain cities)
- Tourist transportation systems
- Signage directing the public to sights and attractions that are visited frequently by hotel guests in the city
City staff will host an orientation session for those who may have questions about the hotel occupancy tax fund application process on Thursday, March 2, 2023, at 4 p.m. at the Visitors Center at 282 N. Main St., Boerne.
For more information or to sign up for the orientation session, please email Jeanette Teague, Visit Boerne Assistant Director, or call (830) 249-7277.