The City of Boerne unveiled its new logo and branding story at the Aug. 16, 2022, City Council meeting, where councilmembers approved its adoption.
The City began the rebranding project at the end of last year. Staff reviewed bids from more than a dozen marketing and branding firms before choosing BrandFirst.
“Our goal with this project was to bring a fresh representation of Boerne to the City’s branding and unite all City departments under a common theme,” Communications Director Chris Shadrock said. “We are excited to share the new logo with the community and are proud of the creative work of our staff and the BrandFirst team.”
BrandFirst visited Boerne in April to meet with staff from various City departments, talk to the community, and tour the city and surrounding communities. They spoke with hundreds of people and developed what is known as the brand expression, which served as an inspiration and guide for the development of the new City logo.
Merging the City’s attributes and values with those of the community, the four pillars of the brand expression were identified as Elevated, Connected, Genuine, Vibrant.
The new logo was derived from what was identified as the defining narrative of Boerne – the Boerne Family Tree.
- The Family Tree: Live oak symbolizes strength and reflects the joining together of the City, while also celebrating and embracing independence.
- Coming Together: Logo elements come together to form a star shape as subtle tribute to Texas, excellence, unity, and a long-standing element of the City’s previous logos.
- Sturdy Roots: Flourish shape expands to create the trunk of the tree, representing Boerne’s strong foundation and historic roots.
- Upstanding City: Complementary flourishes are a visual representation of Boerne’s refined characteristics.
- Close-Knit Community: Branches and leaves represent the community of passionate residents, employees, and City officials that make Boerne thrive.
- Color Palette: A more natural color palette is approachable and communicates the friendly and genuine characteristics of Boerne.
With the main City of Boerne logo established, work continues on sub-department logos with special attention given to the defining characteristics of the work done by each team. Each department logo will fit into the Boerne Family Tree story and retain the look and feel of the main City logo while allowing creative space for departmental expression.
The City of Boerne will begin using its new logo in the coming months on everything from social media to the website, print materials, City vehicles, uniforms, and more.
Watch the video below to learn more about the Boerne Family Tree. Click here to watch on YouTube.