The school year has started for many, but it may look and feel a little different for some. If the kid’s classroom looks more like your living room, why not pack it all up and log in somewhere a little more scenic!
We’ve compiled a helpful list of tips for virtual learning while traveling as well as several reasons why Boerne is an ideal place to bring your students this fall for a fun-filled educational trip they will remember for years to come. Keep reading for some sweet hotel discounts included below as well!
Why Make Boerne Your Classroom?
It’s so easy and Boerne has all your bases covered! Public WiFi is available in most places around town like public parks and the Hill Country Mile plus all of our hotels and most guesthouses offer complimentary connectivity as well. Once the virtual classes have ended there is still plenty to learn while having a ball!
- HISTORY: Boerne was founded in 1852, so everywhere you look there is a history lesson to be had. Explore places rooted in the past with the family so you can truly appreciate where we are as a culture today.
- BIOLOGY: With an abundance of parks, trails, and caves throughout town and the county the world’s natural wonders are constantly presenting learning opportunities for a budding scientist to explore.
- ART: Stretch the imagination and strengthen the creative muscle while exploring public art outdoors or visit with a local artist or two in one of the galleries while you’re here. Need a hands-on art project? There are a few locations throughout Boerne that can accommodate that need to.
- PHYSICAL EDUCATION: It’s easy to piggyback PE class on Biology and Art when you are wandering around outdoors. Shhh. They’re having fun. Don’t tell them that they are learning too.
- MATH/ECONOMICS: Practice a lesson in counting change, money management, and budgeting while shopping the Hill Country Mile. These are critical life skills that are great to learn at an early age. Moms everywhere will be thrilled to be the student-teacher in this classroom!
- CULINARY ARTS: Who wouldn’t want to sign up for this tasty class? There are so many dining choices in Boerne! If you plan accordingly and eat at an off-peak time, ask if the chef is available to say “hi”. Who knows, they may even offer some pointers to take home to your own kitchen.
Boerne Hotels Welcome Students and are Offering Discounts!
- Hampton Inn and Suites is offering an additional 18% off their best available rate any night in 2020 for virtual learners. Plus, they offer a complimentary grab and go breakfast which is great for early morning Zoom meetings.
- Fairfield Inn and Suites is offering 15% off their best available rate if you call the hotel at (830) 368-4167 with promo code “virtual2020” for the remainder of 2020. Take advantage of their free grab and go breakfast as well!
- The Kendall is offering 15% weekday stays. Call the hotel at (830) 249-2138 with promo code “zoom2020” for details and booking.
- The Bevy Hotel is offering 18% off stays for the remainder of 2020. Either call (830) 816-5606 to reserve with code “VLP” or reserve online using code “VLP” under Special Rates/Group Code.
- Comfort Inn and Suites is currently offering 20% off your stay while making Boerne your virtual classroom.
Tips For Virtual Learning On The Go
- Talk to the Teacher in Advance: Give them a heads up that your family will be traveling. You may find that they will be willing to be flexible with you (especially if the trip is going to be somewhere that “real life” learning could happen!).
- Pack Smart: You may not need to bring ALL of their books and materials with you if they aren’t part of the week’s curriculum. Ask your teachers about this before you go, but don’t forget the basics. If they use it at home, bring it on the road. PARENT PRO TIP: Sharpen and bring extra pencils or pack mechanical pencils. Also, bring extra chargers or a backup battery. Just in case.
- Technology and Connectivity: Boerne’s public Wi-Fi is a huge plus, but if you venture out a little further you will need to make sure you have the appropriate equipment to stay connected. Think mobile hotspot or access to 4 or 5G on your devices. PARENT PRO TIP: Don’t forget to charge devices at night so you’re ready to roll in the morning! Also, don’t wait till the last second to log on to your child’s “Zoom” lesson with a new Wi-Fi network. Always have a plan B.
- Plan Ahead but Be Flexible: You do need to stick to the “Zoom” classroom schedule, but ask your teacher about assignment deadlines. You may be able to complete and submit assignments later in the evening so you can spend more time having fun during the day! PARENT PRO TIP: Set an alarm on your phone 10 min before each scheduled “Zoom” time and you’ll never miss a class meeting!
- Scout a Local Library: You may not need it, but it never hurts to know where it is. Boerne’s Patrick Heath Public Library is state of the art, has public Wi-Fi, and is here to serve! Plus, they have great indoor and outdoor spaces to work.
Written by: Tori Bellos, Boerne Marketing Specialist and mom of two elementary-age virtual learners.