Planning & Community Development
"Since 1909, when the City of Boerne was incorporated, growth management has been a complex issue. The Planning and Community Development Department works with individuals, developers, and city staff to implement city policy. We provide planning, preservation and design services to make Boerne a thriving community of lasting value."
Who We Are
The Planning and Community Development Department is responsible for guiding the city’s long range planning efforts and implementing the city’s comprehensive plan for future growth and development. This department also provides census and demographic information, in addition to growth and development information to the community for projecting population, building, and development trends and impacts.
The City of Boerne Planning and Community Development Department is responsible for the implementation of the city’s zoning ordinance (PDF), subdivision ordinance (PDF), and other ordinances as they pertain to the city’s growth and development. Other responsibilities include:
- Review of development and/or site plans and ensuring compliance with city ordinances, regulations, and codes and then to process for review by the Planning and Zoning Commission; the Planning and Zoning Commission then approves those requests or recommends them to the City Council.
- Processing requests for the Historic Landmark Commission that individuals or businesses located in the Historic District propose for development or change; the Historic Landmark Commission approves those requests or recommends them to the City Council.
- Companies and community service entities request grants for various projects; those grants are processed and tracked through the Planning and Community Services Department.
- Coordinating with the Boerne Kendall County Economic Development Corporation and the City Economic Development Work Plan (PDF).
- Providing public information to applicants and the evaluation of applications for land subdivision, site development, variances, easements, zoning, and more.
Support of Commissions
Planning and Community Development staff also serve as the support for the Planning and Zoning Commission and Historic Landmark Commission.
Planning and Community Development Director Laura Haning has over 16 years of experience with the City of Boerne. Ms. Haning has worked in the Planning Department in various capacities and as the Director since 2015. She has been a member of the American Planning Association and the South Texas Planning Association since 2004.
Ms. Haning has overseen two Comprehensive Master Plans for the City of Boerne. The city’s planning department received the Planning Excellence award from the American Planning Association in 2019 and the Great Places in Texas recognition in 2019. She participated in Leadership Boerne 2015-2016.
She enjoys working closely with the people, especially engaging with the community in a collaborative effort to achieve the best for the Boerne.
Ms. Haning has lived in the Boerne area for over 20 years. She loves the outdoors, live music, exploring new places and spending time with her sons.