Frequently Asked Questions

I just received a citation. What do I do?

  • Please read the information brochure given to you along with your citation. This pamphlet will explain most of your options. If you still have questions, additional information is available on the municipal court webpage. If you wish to speak to court staff, please wait at least three business days as the police department must first file the charge with the court. Our phone number is (830) 248-1504.

I am a juvenile or minor. What do I do?

  • JUVENILES - All defendants 16 years or younger are required to appear before the judge with a parent or legal guardian. The court will notify you of your arraignment date by mail to the address listed on the citation. Disregard the appearance date on your citation.
  • MINORS - All defendants age 17-20 charged with alcohol/tobacco/drug paraphernalia/theft or disorderly conduct offenses must also appear before the judge. If you are under the age of 18, you must appear with a parent or legal guardian. The court will notify you of your arraignment date by mail to the address listed on the citation. Disregard the appearance date on your citation.

I want to plead Not Guilty. What do I do?

  • If you wish to plead not guilty, check whether you want a trial by judge or by jury on the brochure provided to you with the citation and submit it to the court on or before your scheduled appearance date. You will then be scheduled for a mandatory pretrial hearing and will be notified of this hearing date by mail.
  • You have the right to have a jury trial by six persons of this community. You may waive this option and have the case heard by the municipal judge. The judge or jury will determine guilt or innocence based on the merits of each individual case. If you do not wish to have a trial you will need to enter a plea of “no contest” or “guilty."

I would like to speak to someone about my citation. What do I do?

  • The court clerks at the window can explain all the options available to you. They cannot give you legal advice. If you would like to discuss any circumstances related to the citation they can set you for a court docket to speak with the prosecutor. You may request this in person, by fax or by mail.

When is my court date?

  • Your initial appearance is required to be made no later than the date assigned on your citation. Your initial appearance is to answer to the charge and to enter a plea. You may do this in person, by fax, or by mail. You cannot enter an appearance by phone.
  • Juveniles and Minors (under 21) may require a mandatory appearance before the judge and will be mailed an arraignment notice. Refer to the special instructions for juveniles and minors listed on the court pamphlet.

What is the difference between a plea of "no contest" and "guilty?"

  • A plea of guilty may be used against you later in a civil suit if there was a traffic accident when you were cited. They can say you were at fault or responsible for the accident because you plead guilty to the traffic charge. A plea of no contest may not be used against you in a subsequent civil suit for damages.

What can I do to keep the offense off my record?

  • There are two options to try and keep the offense off your driving record. The first one is to request the Driver's Safety Course. The second one is to request Deferred Disposition (probation). These two options are covered in more detail in the brochure the officer gave you with the citation and on the municipal court webpage.

I just want to pay my citation. How can I do that?

  • Many offenses may be paid without making an appearance in person. You may pay the total amount due online on the city website by selecting Online Payments, by calling (866) 361-2678 to pay by credit card, or by mailing a check or money order to: Boerne Municipal Court, 124 Old San Antonio Rd., Boerne, TX 78006. Payment in full online or by phone constitutes a plea of "no contest" and will result in the offense being reported as a conviction on your driving record.

I need time to pay. Can I get an extension to pay my citation?

  • Upon entering a plea of no contest or guilty the court can grant a 30-day extension to pay. This option is available on the pamphlet provided to you with the citation. If you fail to pay the full amount within 30 days, the court is required by law to impose a time payment fee of $15.00 per violation. Requesting an extension to pay will result in the offense being reported as a conviction on your driving record. In some cases the court may grant an extension beyond the initial 30 days.

Can my spouse, relative, or employer take care of my citation for me?

  • No. Texas State Law requires that you enter a plea on your own behalf. The only exception is an attorney may enter a plea for you.

Will an attorney be assigned to me?

  • No. You are not required to have an attorney represent you. You may hire an attorney if you desire, but it is not required. Most defendants in municipal court do not use an attorney.

Can I call to request a continuance or payment extension?

  • No. All requests must be timely submitted in person or in writing by mail, email to [email protected] or fax to (830) 331-9465.

I received my ticket from a State Trooper or Sheriff’s Deputy in Kendall County.  Can I take care of it in municipal court?

  • No. You must contact the Justice of the Peace court listed on your citation.

What forms of payment do you accept?

  • You may pay with cash, check, cashier's check, money order, or credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover, and American Express).