The primary purpose of the Red Cross Lifeguarding program is to provide entry level lifeguard participants with the knowledge and skills to prevent, recognize, and respond to emergencies and to provide care for injuries and sudden illnesses until emergency medical services (EMS) personnel arrive and take over.
- 300 yard continuous swim (100 yards front crawl using rhythmic breathing and a stabilizing, propellant kick.)
- Rhythmic breathing can be performed either by breathing to the side or to the front.
- 100 yards breaststroke using a pull, breathe, kick, and glide sequence.
- 100 yards either front crawl or breaststroke.
- Starting in the water, swim 20 yards using front crawl or breaststroke, surface dive 7 to 10 foot, retrieve 10 pound brick, return to surface, swim 20 yards back to the starting point with the brick and exit the water without using a ladder or steps, within 1 minute, 40 seconds.
Participants will receive certifications in lifeguarding, CPR/AED, and First-Aid (Valid for two years).
This class is a standalone class and does not guarantee employment with the City of Boerne at the municipal pool.