- Parks & Recreation
- Programs and Events
- Community Education
- TX License to Carry Handgun Class
TX License to Carry Handgun Class
If you are interested in obtaining a License To Carry a handgun (concealed or openly) in the State of Texas, this course is a requirement. Upon successful completion of this training and submission of the application and fingerprints, DPS will issue a license to those who are legally eligible. Please note, there is an additional fee payable to DPS to obtain a license.
This course will cover all state required topics, Basic Firearms Safety, Safe Handling and Storage, Non-Violent Dispute Resolution, Use of Force Laws, Civil and Criminal Liability, and Texas Handgun Laws. This is not a Learn To Shoot Class. Attendees must be able to demonstrate that they can safely and proficiently operate a handgun.
- 4 to 6 hour state-mandated classroom instruction
- Classroom materials and handouts
- Application preparation instruction
- Fifty (50) round firearms qualification on a DPS approved range
- Range fee, target, safety glasses, and hearing protection
- Certificate of Completion (if student meets minimum qualifications)
Students Must Supply
- Valid Texas Drivers License or ID card
- Footwear that covers the entire foot
- A shirt with a conservative neckline (to protect against hot brass)
- Handgun: Revolver or Semi Auto (no minimum caliber)
- Handguns should be in safe working order
- It no longer matters what type of handgun is used when qualifying. You will be licensed to carry both semi-auto and revolver.
- One empty magazine required for semi-autos
- Ammunition: Minimum 50 founds of factory ammo (no reloads).
- Rental handguns are available with ammo for $30
Classes meet Saturdays from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. at Go Heeled, located at 1015 N. School St. in Boerne.
The range location will be determined by the instructor. ($15 fee paid directly to range on day of class)
- Tuition: $85
- Age: Minimum age to participate is 17. (Note: A person is not eligible to apply to DPS for a License To Carry until the age of 18).
- Class Instructor: Rod Townsend, (832) 390-1775, [email protected]
- Session One: January 14
- Session Two: February 11
- Session Three: March 4
- Session Four: April 15
- Session Five: May 6
- Session Six: June 10
- Session Seven: July 8
- Session Eight: August 12
- Session Nine: September 9
- Session Ten: October 14
- Session Eleven: November (No Class Scheduled)
- Session Twelve: December 9