STRs in Boerne
Any short-term rental (STR) in operation within the city limits of Boerne or its extra-territorial jurisdiction (ETJ) must be registered with and permitted by the City of Boerne.
The Short-Term Rental Ordinance outlines the requirements to permit and operate an STR in Boerne. The ordinance balances the safe operation of an STR while maintaining the community feel of the City’s neighborhoods and historic districts.
Overview of STR Ordinance
Click to expand the items below and learn more about STR permitting and operation requirements. Read the full STR Ordinance.
Property owners may apply to the Zoning Board of Adjustment for a special exception if their desired STR does not meet the requirements as listed in the ordinance.
Minimum Operating Distances
The STR Ordinance establishes minimum operating distances for certain STRs based on the City’s existing zoning and overlay districts.
In areas of the city zoned for residential use, an STR cannot operate within 200 feet of another STR on the same block face. This includes properties zoned for residential use in the Historic, Downtown, and River Road overlay districts.
Properties zoned for commercial use within the Historic, Downtown, and River Road overlay districts have no separation requirements. STRs are not permitted in commercial zones outside of the Historic, Downtown, and River Road overlay districts.
The STR Ordinance places the following requirements on rental properties and owners.
- Insurance: Property owners must provide proof of insurance with a minimum liability coverage of $500,000 per occurrence and $1 million in the aggregate. View Certificate of Insurance example.
- Occupancy: STRs are limited to two people per bedroom plus two additional people.
- Parking: STRs must provide one parking space per bedroom. Street parking is allowed.
- Events: STR occupants are not allowed to host events.
Permits and Inspections
The STR Ordinance outlines the permitting process and the associated fees as follows:
- Permit Registration: A registration fee of $200 will be applied to all STRs in the city limits and the ETJ.
- Permit Expiration: STR permits will expire two years from the effective date. Permits must be renewed within 30 days of the expiration date. A renewal fee of $200 will be applied.
- Inspection: STRs in the city limits will require a safety inspection by City staff at a cost of $100. Property owners also have the option to hire an outside licensed inspector. STRs in the ETJ do not require an inspection.
- Right of Reservation: A short-term rental permit may be reserved by the new property owner or operator within 90 days of the date of change in ownership. A transferee must complete a short-term rental permit application and inspection and submit all applicable fees as required by this ordinance. A short-term rental permit shall not be transferred or applied to another location.
Apply for an STR Permit
If you own a property in the city limits of Boerne or its ETJ and would like to permit it to operate as an STR, use the link below to start the process.
If you have questions about the STR ordinance or the permitting process, contact the Planning Department at (830) 248-1501 or email Planning.