Become an ACS Volunteer
If you have a love for pets and want to help take care of the animals in our community, Animal Care Services would love to have you as a volunteer. Call (830) 249-2456 or email ACS to learn more about volunteering.
How You Can Serve
The ACS volunteer program has a need for people with a range of skillsets and passions. Check out some of the ways you can serve below.
- Administration: Assist staff with answering phones, greeting customers, and answering questions from the public.
- Adoption: Volunteer as an adoption counselor assistant and work with shelter staff on pre-adoption meetings and follow-ups, as well as on canine outings.
- Animal Care: Help our cats and dogs by becoming a dog walker or a cat greeter. Other important tasks include assisting with feeding, grooming, laundry, and more.
- Tech: Help our staff with taking pictures of pets, updating our social media, and other technology-focused tasks.
- Education and Outreach: Join staff and assist with community presentations and promotions.
- Facilities Maintenance: If you can use a broom, work a mop, and are eager to help the animals in our care, we’d love to have you on our team.
- Event Help: Assist ACS coordinators with shelter events.
The ACS shelter has volunteer positions available for teens 12 years and older to serve on Saturdays, after school, or over the summer with parent or guardian approval. This is a great opportunity for teens to earn service hours with their school district or community groups.
Volunteers under the age of 18 will need a parent or guardian to cosign the application. Volunteers under the age of 14 will need a parent or legal guardian to be present at the shelter for the entirety of the volunteer time.