Floodplain Development Overview
FEMA defines development as "any man-made change to improved or unimproved real estate, including but not limited to buildings or other structures, mining, dredging, filling, grading, paving, excavation or drilling operations, or storage of equipment or materials."
A Floodplain Development Permit Application is required for any proposed development within the FEMA floodplain or the local floodplain. You can view and download the application below, or request a hard copy from the Development Services Department. Additional documentation may be required based on the information provided in the application. After the application is submitted, City staff will provide the Floodplain Development Permit Checklist to the applicant indicating which supplementary documents are required.
Floodplain Application Procedure:
1. Download and complete the Floodplain Development Permit Application.
2. Submit the application form, required documents, and permit fees to the Development Services Department.
3. City Staff will fill out the Floodplain Development Permit checklist and return it to the applicant.
4. Submit the required documents from the checklist.
5. City staff will make a determination on the Floodplain Permit Application.
Floodplain Elevation Requirements
All new construction and substantial improvements within or adjacent to the 100-year FEMA or local floodplain must be elevated as follows:
- If Atlas 14 is the basis of the flood study, the minimum building slab elevation must be 1.0 food above the Base Flood Elevation.
- If Atlas 14 is not the basis of the flood study, the minimum building slab elevation must be 2.0 feet above the Base Flood Elevation.
A FEMA Elevation Certificate and/or FEMA Floodproofing Certificate must be submitted before, during, and after construction. A Certificate of Occupancy will not be issued until a completed Elevation Certificate and/or Floodproofing Certificate is approved by Development Services.
For a full list of requirements for developing in the floodplain, please reference the City of Boerne Unified Development Code, Chapter 8 or call the Development Services Department at (830) 249-9511.