- Boerne News
- I-10 Construction
I-10 Construction News
Work is currently underway on TxDOT's I-10 Kendall Extension project, causing a significant impact on traffic in and around the City of Boerne. As part of the project, TxDOT is replacing two overpass bridges across I-10 in Boerne – one at Main Street and one at Highway 46 (Bandera Road). Improvements are also being made to the access roads, including conversion to one-way traffic. The city will utilize this webpage to provide updates as we receive them from TxDOT and its contractors.
- Watch an animation of the project from TxDOT.
- Review a detailed schematic map of the project from TxDOT.
As work on these projects progresses, TxDOT will announce closures that will impact the flow of traffic in and around Boerne. Please be aware that any scheduled closures are subject to change. Check back frequently and follow the City of Boerne on Facebook and Twitter for the latest information. Learn about current and upcoming road closures below.
Eastbound I-10 Frontage Road to Highway 87
The new southbound Highway 87 bridge over I-10 has opened. However, traffic coming from the I-10 East Frontage Road is currently not able to turn left onto Highway 87. Please note the turnaround to the I-10 West Frontage Road is open at this location.
Project Timeline and Progress Tracker
Work on TxDOT's I-10 Kendall Extension project is scheduled to last into 2023 with several phases of construction occurring throughout. The two main areas of work in Boerne are at the intersections of I-10 and Highway 87 (Main Street) and I-10 and Highway 46 (Bandera Road)
Click on the tabs below to learn more about the timeline for work at each of these two intersections. Timelines and construction phases are subject to change and delay by TxDOT.
Project Timeline – I-10 at Highway 87 (Main Street)
Below is a list of completed project milestones and estimated completion dates for other phases of construction taking place at the Highway 87 / Main Street interchange at I-10. The information below is from TxDOT and its contractors.
- Demolish old Highway 87/Main Street bridge
- New I-10 East entrance ramp from Highway 87/Main Street
- New I-10 East exit ramp to Scenic Loop Road
- New I-10 East-West turnaround under Scenic Loop Road
- New I-10 East exit ramp between Scenic Loop Road and Balcones Creek
- New I-10 West entrance ramp between Balcones Creek and Scenic Loop Road
- New westbound frontage road between Highway 87 and Christus Parkway
- New Highway 87 southbound bridge
Estimated Completion of Remaining Milestones
- Reopen I-10 West entrance ramp from Scenic Loop (Winter 2022-23)
- Left turn lane from I-10 East Frontage road onto Highway 87
This map from TxDOT is an overview of the construction project underway at Main Street and I-10 in Boerne. Click here to see a more detailed schematic.
Project Timeline – I-10 at Highway 46 (Bandera Road)
Below is a list of completed project milestones and estimated completion dates for other phases of construction taking place at the Highway 46 / Bandera Road interchange at I-10. The information below is from TxDOT and its contractors.
- New westbound to eastbound turnaround bridge at Highway 46
- New roadway to new Highway 46 bridge
- New Backage Road 02 in front of the Chili’s restaurant
- New Backage Road 01 from School Street to Highway 46
- New I-10 East Exit 540 to Highway 46
- New I-10 East entrance ramp from Highway 46
- Demolish old Highway 46 bridge over I-10
- New I-10 West entrance ramp from Highway 46
- New Highway 46 north/south bridge over I-10
- New Highway 46 roadway connecting to new frontage roads and bridge
The map above from TxDOT is an overview of the construction project underway at Bandera Road/Highway 46 and I-10 in Boerne. Click here to see a more detailed schematic.