I-10 Construction News
Work is currently underway on TxDOT's I-10 Kendall Extension project, causing a significant impact on traffic in and around the City of Boerne. As part of the project, TxDOT is replacing two overpass bridges across I-10 in Boerne – one at Main Street and one at Bandera Road/Highway 46. Improvements are also being made to the access roads, including conversion to one-way traffic. The city will utilize this webpage to provide updates as we receive them from TxDOT and its contractors.
- Watch an animation of the project from TxDOT.
- Review a detailed schematic map of the project from TxDOT.
As work on these projects progresses, TxDOT will announce closures that will impact the flow of traffic in and around Boerne. Please be aware that any scheduled closures are subject to change. Check back frequently and follow the City of Boerne on social media for the latest information. Below is a list of the major closures that are currently underway:
Lane closures on Bandera Road/Highway 46 at I-10
Beginning July 12, 2021, and lasting through September 2021, TxDOT will shift to its next phase of construction at Bandera Road/Highway 46. The following changes to traffic flow will be in place during this time:
- TxDOT will close the right turn lane on Bandera Road/Highway 46 in front of the Whataburger on approach to the eastbound I-10 frontage road.
- Traffic will be shifted onto temporary pavement. One lane of traffic will be open in each direction.
- The driveway/entrance to Whataburger from Bandera Road/Highway 46 will be closed.
This closure may impact access to businesses in the area, including Home Depot, Whataburger and Chili's. There are two ways to access these businesses during the closure, as listed below and indicated by the green arrows in the map below.
- The entrance to the Home Depot parking lot from Bandera Road/Highway 46 will remain open, allowing access to Whataburger and Chili's.
- The entrance to the Chili's parking lot from the two-way I-10 access road south of Bandera Road/Highway 46 will also remain open, allowing access to Whataburger and Home Depot.
Note: This closure was originally scheduled to start July 6, 2021, but was delayed due to weather.
Lane closures near Scenic Loop Road/Cascade Caverns at I-10
Starting July 19, the existing outside lane of the westbound access road at Scenic Loop Road will be closed for reconstruction, and traffic will be transferred onto the newly constructed inside lane to maintain frontage road operations.
Traffic will remain as a single lane from Scenic Loop to the new US-87 exit ramp (Exit 542). Additionally, the portion of Cascade Caverns Road between the frontage road and Old San Antonio Road will be closed for reconstruction.
If you are traveling on Scenic Loop in either direction you will be able to turn onto the WB access road at the intersection just as you can today. However, Old San Antonio traffic or residents who live in Boerne Hollow or Southglen will need to use Scenic Loop to get onto the access road rather than utilizing Cascade Caverns.
This construction, once complete, will allow TxDOT’s contractor to complete the frontage road widening from Scenic Loop to US-87/Main Street.
Project Timeline – Main Street/Business Highway 87 at I-10
Below is an approximate project timeline and list of major milestones for the working being done at the Main Street/Business Highway 87 interchange at I-10. The information below is from TxDOT and its contractors.
Tear down the existing Highway 87/Main Street bridge.
- This has been pushed back due to migratory birds that have nested in the old bridge. Once rescheduled, it will require a full closure of the main lanes of I-10 in both directions. That closure will be scheduled over a weekend.
Begin construction on the new accompanying bridge.
Access road progress points between Scenic Loop Road and Main Street:
- Allow new access from Business Highway 87/Main Street onto the I-10 eastbound main lanes.
- Open new eastbound exit ramp to Scenic Loop Road.
- Open new east-west turnaround under Scenic Loop Road.
- Open new eastbound entrance ramp from Business Highway 87/Main Street.
This map from TxDOT is an overview of the construction project underway at Main Street and I-10 in Boerne. Click here to see a more detailed schematic.
Project Timeline – Bandera Road/Highway 46 at I-10
Below is an approximate project timeline and list of major milestones for the working being done at the Bandera Road/Highway 46 interchange at I-10. The information below is from TxDOT and its contractors.
Open the new Highway 46 turnaround bridge to allow westbound frontage road traffic to access the new eastbound frontage road. COMPLETED
- Add new pavement up to the new bridge structure and allow the contractor to move traffic off the existing Highway 46 bridge onto the new bridge structure.
- Reconstruct the northbound Highway 46 lanes from Home Depot up to the new Highway 46 bridge.
- Construct the new eastbound frontage road at the new bridge structure.
- Construct Backage Road 2 in front of the Chili’s.
Access road projects between Highway 46 to Main Street intersection:
- Allow new access from Highway 46/Bandera Road onto the I-10 eastbound main lanes.
- Open new eastbound entrance ramp from Highway 46.
- Open new eastbound exit ramp to Business Highway 87/Main Street.
- Construct new eastbound frontage road pavement up to grade to new Main Street overpass bridge, which will restore eastbound frontage road direct access to northbound Business Highway 87/Main St. into Boerne.
- Construct new access from Highway 46/Bandera Road onto the I-10 eastbound and westbound main lanes
- Open new eastbound exit ramp to Highway 46/Bandera Road.
- Open new westbound entrance ramp from Highway 46/Bandera Road.
- Tear down the existing Highway 46 bridge.
Begin construction on additional Highway 46 bridge.
The map above from TxDOT is an overview of the construction project underway at Bandera Road/Highway 46 and I-10 in Boerne. Click here to see a more detailed schematic.