I-10 Construction News
Work is currently underway on TxDOT's I-10 Kendall Extension project, causing a significant impact on traffic in and around the City of Boerne. As part of the project, TxDOT is replacing two overpass bridges across I-10 in Boerne – one at Main Street and one at Bandera Road/Highway 46. Improvements are also being made to the access roads, including conversion to one-way traffic. The city will utilize this webpage to provide updates as we receive them from TxDOT and its contractors.
- Watch an animation of the project from TxDOT.
- Review a detailed schematic map of the project from TxDOT.
As work on these projects progresses, TxDOT will announce closures that will impact the flow of traffic in and around Boerne. Please be aware that any scheduled closures are subject to change. Check back frequently and follow the City of Boerne on social media for the latest information. Click on the tabs below to learn about current and upcoming road closures.
Eastbound I-10 Frontage Road at Highway 46 (Bandera Road)
TxDOT contractors have closed the I-10 Eastbound Frontage Road from Highway 46. This closure started in mid-September and is expected to last six weeks.
Once this closure is complete, crews will shift traffic onto the newly constructed Highway 46 bridge over I-10 and then demolish the old bridge.
Highway 46 Traffic
- During this closure, traffic on Highway 46 will still be allowed to travel over I-10 via the old bridge. However, drivers will not be able to access the eastbound frontage road from Highway 46. Traffic on Highway 46 in front of Home Depot is continuing to be shifted onto temporary pavement. One lane of traffic will be open in each direction.
- Johns Road will be the primary detour route for access from Highway 46 to I-10 East toward San Antonio. This means drivers trying to access I-10 East from Highway 46 will first need to take I-10 West, take Exit 539 to Johns Road, cross over I-10 via the Johns Road bridge, and then access I-10 East.
- The Johns Road detour also gives drivers access to the new Eastbound U.S. 87 Exit ramp under the Highway 46 bridge. The new exit ramp provides access to Grand Boulevard, Menger Springs Road, and the hospital.
- Drivers trying to get into San Antonio, they may also utilize several city streets (Norris Avenue, Herff Road and Christus Parkway) to get onto the frontage road south of the I-10/Highway 46 intersection and turning around on the new U-turn bridge, which remains open. The temporary on-ramp south of the intersection remains open for easier access to I-10.
Westbound I-10 Traffic
- Westbound I-10 traffic will utilize the new Highway 46 turnaround bridge to access eastbound frontage road local business, Grand Boulevard, Menger Springs Road, and the hospital.
Upper Balcones Road
- Drivers will not be able to access the eastbound frontage road from Upper Balcones Road. Upper Balcones Road will remain open to access local businesses.
Local Business Access
- Access to Home Depot, Whataburger, and Chili’s will be possible from Highway 46 in front of Home Depot. Access to Starbucks and Boerne Church of Christ will be possible from Upper Balcones Road via Coughran Road. Access to business along the Eastbound Frontage Road (including the Hampton Inn, Quick Oil Change, and Brake Check) will be possible by using the new Highway 46 turnaround bridge from the westbound access road.
I-10 at Highway 46 (Bandera Road)
Starting Wednesday, October 20, 2021, TxDOT is scheduled to open previously closed portions of the Eastbound I-10 Frontage Road at the Highway 46 intersection in Boerne.
As part of this next phase of construction, the following sections of road will be open:
- New Highway 46 bridge over I-10
- New Eastbound Frontage Road at Highway 46
- New Backage Road at Highway 46 intersection
- New Backage Road at Upper Balcones Road intersection
As traffic shifts onto the newly built section of the Highway 46 bridge, crews will begin demolition of the old bridge to make way for the second section of the new bridge to be built. This is estimated to be completed in Spring 2022.
The existing exit from Eastbound I-10 to Highway 46 will remain open, but traffic exiting the highway there will only be able to turn right onto westbound Highway 46. Traffic will NOT be able to turn left onto Highway 46 from Eastbound I-10. If you are driving east on I-10 from Comfort or Kerrville, you will need to use a different exit to drive into Boerne. Other exits that will allow access to Boerne from I-10 East are N. Main Street, Johns Road, and Scenic Loop Road.
Highway 46 Traffic
- Traffic on Highway 46 will be switched to the new bridge over I-10.
- Traffic on Highway 46 will be able to turn onto both the new Eastbound I-10 Frontage Road and the existing Westbound I-10 Frontage Road.
Upper Balcones Road and New Backage Road
- The new backage road in front of the Chili's restaurant will allow two-way traffic between Highway 46 and the new Eastbound I-10 Frontage Road.
- Traffic on the new backage road will only be able to turn right at Highway 46, heading east into Boerne. Traffic from the backage road will NOT be able to turn left onto westbound Highway 46.
Local Business Access
- Access to the businesses at the intersection will be available from Highway 46 and the new backage road running parallel to the new Eastbound I-10 Frontage Road.
See the map below from TxDOT or click here for a full-sized image.
Work on TxDOT's I-10 Kendall Extension project is scheduled to last into 2022 with several phases of construction occurring throughout. The two main areas of work in Boerne are at the intersections of I-10 and Main Street/Highway 87 and I-10 and Bandera Road/Highway 46.
Click on the tabs below to learn more about the timeline for work at each of these two intersections. Timelines and construction phases are subject to change and delay by TxDOT.
Project Timeline – Main Street/Business Highway 87 at I-10
Below is an approximate project timeline and list of major milestones for the working being done at the Main Street/Business Highway 87 interchange at I-10. The information below is from TxDOT and its contractors.
Tear down the existing Highway 87/Main Street bridge. COMPLETED
Begin construction on the new accompanying bridge.
Access road progress points between Scenic Loop Road and Main Street:
- Allow new access from Business Highway 87/Main Street onto the I-10 eastbound main lanes.
- Open new eastbound exit ramp to Scenic Loop Road.
- Open new east-west turnaround under Scenic Loop Road.
- Open new eastbound entrance ramp from Business Highway 87/Main Street.
This map from TxDOT is an overview of the construction project underway at Main Street and I-10 in Boerne. Click here to see a more detailed schematic.
Project Timeline – I-10 at Highway 46 (Bandera Road)
Below is an approximate project timeline and list of major milestones for the working being done at the I-10 / Highway 46 intersection. The information below is from TxDOT and its contractors.
Open the new Highway 46 turnaround bridge to allow westbound frontage road traffic to access the new eastbound frontage road. COMPLETED
- Add new pavement up to the new bridge structure and allow the contractor to move traffic off the existing Highway 46 bridge onto the new bridge structure.
- Reconstruct the northbound Highway 46 lanes from Home Depot up to the new Highway 46 bridge.
- Construct the new eastbound frontage road at the new bridge structure.
- Construct Backage Road 2 in front of the Chili’s.
Access road projects between Highway 46 to Main Street intersection:
- Allow new access from Highway 46 onto the I-10 eastbound main lanes.
- Open new eastbound entrance ramp from Highway 46.
- Open new eastbound exit ramp to Business Highway 87/Main Street.
- Construct new eastbound frontage road pavement up to grade to new Main Street overpass bridge, which will restore eastbound frontage road direct access to northbound Business Highway 87/Main St. into Boerne.
- Construct new access from Highway 46 onto the I-10 eastbound and westbound main lanes
- Open new eastbound exit ramp to Highway 46.
- Open new westbound entrance ramp from Highway 46.
- Tear down the existing Highway 46 bridge.
Begin construction on additional Highway 46 bridge.
The map above from TxDOT is an overview of the construction project underway at Bandera Road/Highway 46 and I-10 in Boerne. Click here to see a more detailed schematic.