How We Conserve Water
The City of Boerne’s current conservation program aims to reduce average annual per capita water consumption and unaccounted for water through the following methods:
Drought Contingency Plan
The City’s Drought Contingency Plan includes criteria for the initiation and termination of drought response stages, outside watering day designations, and penalties for violation of the ordinance.
Year-round Mandatory Conservation
The City has in place a year-round ordinance that prohibits landscape watering from 11 a.m. – 7 p.m. Read the full Year-Round Water Restriction ordinance.
The City regulates the types of turf grasses allowed for new residential and commercial development. The ordinance also contains requirements related to irrigation systems, replacement of damaged turf, and requirements for depth of soil. Please see the information on Turf Management and Native Grasses.
Stage 2 Water Conservation Rules
When the City of Boerne is in Stage 2 Water Conservation, residential and commercial utility customers are required to limit the use of water for landscape irrigation. Customers are permitted to use individual sprinklers or sprinkler systems for lawns, gardens, or other landscaped areas on one designated weekday and only between the hours of 7 p.m. – 11 a.m. Residents can water by hand with a hose or bucket at any time.
Designated watering days are assigned according to the last number of the street address as follows:
- 0 or 1 – Monday
- 2 or 3 – Tuesday
- 4 or 5 – Wednesday
- 6 or 7 – Thursday
- 8 or 9 – Friday
Water Conservation Tips
Check out some of the tips and ideas below to learn how you can help conserve water.
- Turn off the faucet while brushing your teeth or shaving. Don't let the water run.
- Reduce your shower time by 5 - 10 minutes.
- Fix leaks in toilets, sinks, and washing machines.
- Water lawns only once per week and early in the morning to prevent water evaporation.
- Adjust sprinkler heads so they are watering the grass and not the pavement.
- Install rain shut-off devices on sprinkler systems to prevent watering during or after a rain.
- Use energy efficient appliances.
- Learn how to water for a Texas Landscape.