Boerne is home to a vast variety of activities, attractions, and events to enchant the kiddos as well as Mom and Dad. From attractions like the Cave Without A Name and the Cibolo Nature Center to fun events like Berges Fest, Kendall County Fair, and Dickens on Main, this family-friendly town has tons of activities to keep everyone happy! Visit our Things to Do page to see all there is to do here! Boerne offers a variety of exciting and unique activities for families. A treasure nestled in the wonderfully scenic setting of the Texas Hill Country. Bring the entire family and discover what makes this Hill Country town the perfect family vacation destination.
Day 1: Trail Riding and a Trip Underground
• Start your morning by fueling up at one of Boerne’s unique coffee stops; you’re going to need plenty of energy for a morning full of horseback riding with wrangler Willie Stricker out in the hill country.
• Mosey back into town for lunch and visit one of the many fine eateries Boerne has to offer.
• Next, beat the Texas heat by exploring down under at the Cave Without a Name. About 10 minutes outside of Boerne is one of the area’s best kept secrets—a natural living cavern—some say the most beautiful in Texas. The cave’s six rooms are filled with spectacular formations and are a soothing 66° year-round. Round out your day by visiting a wine bar or listen to live music at one of the many establishments that frequently showcase local talent.
• Not into horses? Schedule a history tour with Boerne Walking Tours along the Hill Country Mile in Downtown Boerne. They offer a daytime history tour all about Boerne and an evening tour that highlights our Texas Hill Country legends, folklore, and ghost stories!
Day 2: Nature Walk, Wine Tasting and a Trip to Luckenbach
• Grab breakfast to go and have a picnic at River Road Park. It is a great place to experience downtown Boerne’s more natural side with a walk on the Cibolo Trail. Check out the Public Art exhibit; Art Al Fresco while walking the trail too!
• Enjoy lunch at one of the local cafés, restaurants, or brewpub. Or lunch can be catered at the Cibolo Nature Center.
• This afternoon, head north and visit Sisterdale and Luckenbach. Sisterdale is home of Sister Creek Vineyard, where Chardonnay, Pinot Noir, Bordeaux, Cabernet Sauvignon, and Merlot wines are produced. Winery tours and tastings are available seven days a week. Saint Tryphon Farm and Vineyards has recently opened in the Sisterdale area too and you won’t want to miss out on a sip or two in their stunning tasting room or on their open patio.
• After about a 20-minute ride along a back road through the breathtaking Hill Country, stop in Luckenbach where “Everybody is Somebody”! Established in 1849 as a trading post, and made famous by Willie Nelson and Waylon Jennings’ hit song, Luckenbach is 10 acres with a general store, dance hall, and a beer joint, all surrounded by huge oaks and two creeks. Dances held monthly with performers that include talents like Jerry Jeff Walker, Pat Green, Gary P. Nunn, and Ray Wylie Hubbard.
• Traveling with younger kiddos? Spend the afternoon discovering the beauty of four distinct ecosystems at the Cibolo Nature Center. Dip your toes in the clear waters of the Cibolo Creek under the abundant shade of the Cypress-lined banks. Or stroll along the boardwalk over the marshlands. Tallgrass prairies and forest trails make for great hikes. Make plans to attend a workshop or educational program at the center or over at the Herff Farm.
Day 3: Painting, Lake Play and Some RANDOM Fun
• After a filling breakfast, meander along the Hill Country Mile and pop in for some painting at the Maker’s Place. They offer inspiration in the form of blank and pre-sketched canvases as well as ceramic pottery. Let your creative juices flow and get crafty! Afterward, pop over to Kelani Yogurt for a sweet treat.
• Next, head out to Boerne City Lake Park and rent some paddle boards! Get ready to make some great family memories while exploring the lake. Paddleboarding is easier than you may think, and everyone should give it a try. Once you are off the water, hit the trails or work in a round of disc golf at the lake’s 9-hole course. Grab some sandwiches or BBQ to-go because you are going to want to pack a picnic lunch for a full day of play!
• Locals and visitors know where to go for an evening of fun in Boerne. Random Beer Garden is right next door to Boerne City Lake Park and has 80+ beers and ciders on tap as well as a selection of rotating food trucks. This family-friendly gathering place hosts regular live music and a community spirit. There is even an in-ground monster bounce and yard games for the kids. They will sleep well tonight!