Boerne is home to a vast variety of activities, attractions, and events to enchant the kiddos as well as Mom and Dad. From attractions like the Cave Without A Name and the Cibolo Nature Center to fun events like Berges Fest, Kendall County Fair, and Dickens on Main, this family-friendly town has tons of activities to keep everyone happy! Visit our Things to Do page to see all there is to do here! Boerne offers a variety of exciting and unique activities for families. A treasure nestled in the wonderfully scenic setting of the Texas Hill Country, bring the entire family and discover what makes this Hill Country town the perfect family vacation destination.
Day 1: Trail Riding and a Trip Underground
• Start your morning by fueling up at one of Boerne’s unique coffee stops; you’re going to need plenty of energy for a morning full of horseback riding at Diamond C Stables out in the hill country.
• Mosey back into town for lunch and visit one of the many fine eateries Boerne has to offer like Boerne Taco House, Compadres Hill Country Cocina, or maybe Cibolo Creek Brewing Co.
• Next, beat the Texas heat by exploring down under at the Cave Without a Name. About 10 minutes outside of Boerne is one of the area’s best-kept secrets—a natural living cavern—some say the most beautiful in Texas. The cave’s six rooms are filled with spectacular formations and are a soothing 66° year-round. Round out your day by visiting a wine bar or listening to live music at one of the many establishments that frequently showcase local talent.
• Not into horses? Wander and explore along the Hill Country Mile in downtown Boerne with your historic walking tour in hand. Pick up and enjoy a sweet treat while you stroll from Blithe Creamery, Salty and Sweet or The Stand! Need something a little stronger? Richter Bakhaus has "big kid ice cream," and Roc-n-Ritas offers margaritas to go.
Day 2: Nature Walk, Farmers Market, and a Step Back in Time
• Sit down for a breakfast of champions that will fuel a big day ahead at The Dienger Trading Co. Hill Country plates, pancakes, pastries, omelets, and more are sure to please the whole crew!
• After breakfast, hop across Main Street to the Old Jail Museum for a tour of some of Boerne and Kendall County's historic highlights. Kids can even be locked up in the historic jail cells. It's sure to be an experience they will want to tell their friends about when they return home!
• Enjoy lunch at a family favorite, Dog and Pony Grill. With a playground, a sports court, and a menu filled with kid-friendly items, the littles are sure to be pleased. With a full bar and live music lined up for the evening, mom and dad will be sure to want to return for an evening show.
• Every Saturday, the Historic Herff Farm and Homestead plays host to a farmers market to write home about. Shop locally made produce and treasures, then explore the inspirational and children's play gardens. Check their social media accounts for weekly programs and workshops that may strike your fancy!
• After the market, head over to The AgriCultural Museum and Arts Center where you can see a real blacksmith in action, take part in a bluegrass jam, or maybe even catch an artist painting en plein air or an antique tractor pull competition.
• Traveling with younger kids? Spend the rest of the afternoon discovering the beauty of four distinct ecosystems at the Cibolo Nature Center. Dip your toes in the clear waters of the Cibolo Creek under the abundant shade of the cypress-lined banks. Or stroll along the boardwalk over the marshlands. Tallgrass prairies and forest trails make for great hikes.
• If you don't want to head back for that show at Dog and Pony, that's ok; across from the Cibolo Nature Center is another hot spot for families. Inferno's Pizza has a menu full of pizza options that are sure to make all parties happy, plus a full bar and fenced-in playground. Sit back, relax, and play on, kiddos!
Day 3: Painting, Lake Play, and Fun at Arrows Active Play Park
• After a filling breakfast, meander along the Hill Country Mile and pop in for some painting at the Maker’s Place. They offer inspiration in the form of blank and pre-sketched canvases as well as ceramic pottery. Let your creative juices flow and get crafty! Afterward, pop over to Kelani Yogurt for some frozen yogurt topped with your choice of fruit, candy, sweet cereals, and so much more.
• Next, head out to Boerne City Lake Park and rent some paddle boards! Get ready to make some great family memories while exploring the lake. Paddleboarding is easier than you may think, and everyone should give it a try. Once you are off the water, hit the trails or work in a round of disc golf at the lake’s 9-hole course. Grab some sandwiches or BBQ to-go because you are going to want to pack a picnic lunch for a full day of play!
• Just in case a day at the lake isn't enough to wear the munchkins out, we'd like to introduce you to Arrows Active Play Park. Swing by The Bubble Tea Factory, on your way to pick up some boba-filled tea or lemonade, and get ready to let the kids run and bounce their last bit of energy out. The indoor playground boasts 8,000 square feet of multi-level playscapes and activities that are sure to be sleep-inducing at the end of the day.
• After a day filled with fun, swing on by Longhorn Café, for a tasty burger and a little more playground time before turning in.